Explosions rattle Mogadishu as government officials targeted
Mogadishu, Somalia (SOMALI AGENDA) — Suspected Al Shabab militants have attacked a high profile Hotel in Mogadishu housing numerous government officials including the country’s Deputy Prime Minister Mohamed Omar Arte among others.
The initial explosion which was housed in a car parked outside the hotel’s prayer hall was followed shortly by another blast carried out by a female suicide bomber. According to reliable sources, the dead in today’s attack included:
1) Deputy Mayor of Mogadishu Mohamed Adan Guled
2) Chairman of Daljir Party Abdishakur Mire Adan
3) Member Somali Parliament Omar Furdug
4) Permanent Secretary at the office of Somali Prime Minister Mohamed Elmi
5) Member Somali Parliament Mohamud Duale Muse.
6) Chief of Staff to Deputy Prime Minister Abdikhalif Baadiyow
The injured include
1) Deputy Prime Minister Mohamed Omar Arte
2) Minister for Ports Nur Farah Hirsi
3) Former Interior Minister and commander of the now defunct Islamic Courts Union Abdulqadir Ali Omar
4) Mayor of Balcad Mohamud Ahmed
5) Former Deputy Defense Minister Salaad Ali Jaale
Today’s attack comes as security forces attempt to secure Mogadishu ahead of a visit by the President of Djibouti. It is the worst attack against the Somali government since the devastating attack on Hotel Shaamo in 2009. At least 20 people are expected to have died in the blasts.